E-learning has definite benefits over traditional classroom instruction. The most obvious advantages are the flexibility and accessibility.
Following are the key advantages amongst a few:
- e-Learning is less expensive to produce - E-training is virtually free once the break-even point has been reached. Synchronous programs have continued instructor costs, but the delivery schedule and flexibility often reduce the cost of instructors while increasing the supply of qualified teachers.
- e-Learning is self-paced - Open-entry/Open-exit access and the ability to work at a pace that fits the needs and abilities of the learner are quite beneficial. Instruction that is packaged in smaller chunks help meet immediate needs while aiding in retention and application.
- e-learning moves faster - Assessments automatically branch and create personal instructional paths for learners that guide them to what they need and skip over lessons or materials where learners have demonstrated mastery.
- e-learning provides a consistent message - Content is consistent and the use of routine as part of the delivery of instruction creates positive study habits, develops intuitive, user-friendly learning environments, and allows learners to concentrate on the content and not the technology or delivery nuances. A template approach to developing online learning engenders consistency.
- e-Learning can be accessed from any location and any time - This Just-In-Time (JIT) benefit not only meets the need of learners needing to solve an immediate problem or find critical resources critical to the current situation, but also provide those currently unable to access instruction or resources to do so. The flexible 24/7/365 access creates opportunities to learn from home, in a field, in the middle of the night, or on a lunch break.
- e-Learning content and materials can be updated easily and quickly - Not only is the ease and speed of updating and modifying content and materials improved but the cost associated with these changes is greatly reduced.
- e-Learning can lead to increased retention and a deeper understanding of the content - The variety of delivery methods and devices, combined with the immediate application and interaction by the learner improves learning and retention. Learners immediately relate new learning to real-world examples, apply new learning to contemporary situations, and transfer new learning to the learner's reality.
- e-Learning easily managed for large groups of students - The teacher becomes a facilitator and systems manager when using e-Learning. Teachers get to know learners better through one-on-one communications and also immediately know when learners are struggling or need assistance. The technology collects data regarding the progress and performance of learners, their time on task, attendance, and material accessed. The data can then be used to better serve the learner by directing them to appropriate resources, providing effective interventions, and offering focused feedback to help the learner.
- e-Learning provides learner-centered instruction and access to resources specifically selected to meet the needs of learners and address community needs.
- e-Learning helps learners enhances computer and Internet skills and builds expertise in the use of other technological devices.
- e-Learning draws upon hundreds of years of established pedagogical principles
- e-Learning fosters greater student-to-student interaction and collaboration
- e-Learning fosters greater student/instructor contact
- e-Learning is self-directed, allowing students to choose content and tools appropriate to their differing interests, needs, and skill levels
- e-Learning expands the classroom to become a global learning community. Learners gain respect, understanding, and familiarity with people from other cultures who have different beliefs, attitudes, and perspectives on the world, the future, and solutions to common issues and concerns.
- e-Learning uses a variety of platforms such as Windows, UNIX and Mac because they all read html files. Phone APPS and hand-held devices are also included as delivery tools.
- e-Learning provides access to experts, outstanding teachers and researchers, and specialized fields of study seldom open to learners